Sunday, November 19, 2006

John McCain Would Support Overturning Roe v. Wade

Here's a post over at the Daily Kos titled "John McCain would support overturning Roe v. Wade ":

... McCain has flip-flopped on his 1999 statement that he wouldn't support overturning Roe v Wade. This is a fantastic catch. They've included the video at that link, and the ABC transcript:

STEPHANOPOULOS: Let me ask one question about abortion. Then I want to turn to Iraq. You're for a constitutional amendment banning abortion, with some exceptions for life and rape and incest.

MCCAIN: Rape, incest and the life of the mother. Yes.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So is President Bush, yet that hasn't advanced in the six years he's been in office. What are you going to do to advance a constitutional amendment that President Bush hasn't done?

MCCAIN: I don't think a constitutional amendment is probably going to take place, but I do believe that it's very likely or possible that the Supreme Court should — could overturn Roe v. Wade, which would then return these decisions to the states, which I support.

STEPHANOPOULOS: And you'd be for that?

MCCAIN: Yes, because I'm a federalist. Just as I believe that the issue of gay marriage should be decided by the states, so do I believe that we would be better off by having Roe v. Wade return to the states. And I don't believe the Supreme Court should be legislating in the way that they did on Roe v. Wade.

(Emphasis added.)

This man is not a "moderate". He's pandering to the extreme religious right. Clearly, should McCain decide to run in 2008 , a vote for him would be a vote against a woman's right to chose.

Bad news for Kos - good news for conservatives that are concerned that McCain may be our nominee in 2008.

No comments: