Monday, March 19, 2007

Gitmo Detainee Confesses To Planning Attack On USS Cole, US Embassies

I'm confused, I thought everyone in Gitmo was innocent, at least, that's what the media's been telling me.

I guess Waleed Mohammed Bin Attash didn't get the memo, because he just confessed to being the "mastermind" behind the bombing of the USS Cole.

Waleed Mohammed Bin Attash, long suspected of plotting the bombing of the USS Cole, confessed to planning the attack during a hearing at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, according to a Pentagon transcript released Monday.

He also said he helped plan the bombings of the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998 that killed 213, the transcript said. Seventeen sailors were killed and 37 injured when suicide bombers steered an explosives-laden boat into the battleship on Oct. 12, 2000.

"I participated in the buying or purchasing of the explosives," bin Attash said when asked what his role was in the attacks on the Cole and the embassies. "I put together the plan for the operation a year and a half prior to the operation, buying the boat and recruiting the members that did the operation."

Of course, Attash isn't the only "innocent hostage" down in Gitmo accidentally confessing to crimes. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed has been going on for about a week about how he helped plan 9/11 and the murder of Daniel Pearl. In fact, he boasted that he personally beheaded the "American Jew" and for those with any doubts, he said "there are pictures of me on the internet holding his head."

Long live Gitmo! If it continues to be this successful, I'll be wearing my "Club Gitmo" t-shirt with extra pride.