Wednesday, April 18, 2007

'Ismail Ax:' Cho Seung-Hui's Nickname?

My God, the traffic is just pouring in from my earlier post on "Ismail Ax!" So, I think this post is needed to clarify, as I'm sick of getting emails from Islamist-sympathisers who are too lazy to read the full post.

After further investigation, as the other post says, I decided that "Ismail Ax" probably had little to do with Islam, but was a nickname derived from Cho Seung-Hui's name taken while studying in Indonesia, and possibly a reference to Ishmael, a book he probably read as an English major.

I make no apologies for initially wondering if there was a link to radical Islam in this horrific mass-murder. After all, a decade ago every conflict on the planet was so-and-so vs. Communism, these days it's almost always so-and-so vs. radical Islam. Also, there's the case of a North Carolina-Chapel Hill student who drove his car into a crowd of pedestrians as an act of terrorism. Never heard of it? That's because the MSM doesn't cover these things! And honestly, which is more far-fetched: thinking this may have been partly inspired by Islam, or actually blaming GW for it?

I never said that I thought this was solely an act of Islamic terror, but I easily could have seen Islam being one of many factors that his sick mind used to justify his disgusting actions.

Anyway, just to clarify, this doesn't appear to in anyway be related to radical Islam, rather just the very disturbing actions of someone who was obviously very sick in the head. Read the original post below, including the update about how "Ismail Ax" was apparently the killer's nickname.

***Update, 1:16am***

Other than my original Islamic terror theory and my subsequent nickname theory, there's another theory out there that it may have said "Ismail Ak," the name of a leading doctor in the killer's particular social disorder. He was referred to counseling and may have heard the name.