Monday, September 25, 2006

Cat Stevens Questions The Pope's Inallibility

Being a Catholic, I once again have that nagging in my head begging me to explain how my Faith works. The Star Telegram (hat tip: LGF) has a story about former pop star turned terrorist supporter Cat Stevens:

The singer, whose hits such as Moon Shadow and Peace Train made him a star in 1960s and 1970s, said in an interview with the British Broadcasting Corp. in London that the pope's words prove he is not infallible.  

"At one point, I used to believe that the pope was infallible," Islam said, recalling his early education in Catholic schools.  

The pontiff "should have looked elsewhere if he wanted to quote, but we respect the pope and his position," he said.  

He added it was good that Benedict had retracted his statement "in a way."

I just want to point out that the Pope is only infallible on matters of Faith and only when he declares his statement official church teaching, such as when the Virgin Mary was declared an eternal virgin (meaning she never "new man," before or after Jesus' birth).

Maybe Cat Stevens should have paid more attention in Catholic school.

No comments: